Thursday, April 18, 2013

Avocado Chicken Salad



I LOVE chicken salad, probably because it's usually loaded with calories from all the mayonnaise! I tend to like foods that are calories busters. Awhile back I made tuna salad with Greek yogurt instead of mayo and it was good but I still preferred the mayo version.

When I saw recipes floating around Pinterest for Avocado Chicken Salad I just had to try it! This one is a keeper! It is DELISH! This is the 2nd batch of this I have made and plan on putting into our family cookbook.

I love this as a lunch option for me instead of getting stuck eating toddler food, which sometimes happens to the best of us!

You will need:
14oz to 1 pound of skinless chicken breast (or tenders)
1 cup chicken broth (optional, for shredding chicken)
2 small avocados
1/4 of an onion, chopped
2 Tbsp cilantro, coarsely chopped
Juice of 1/2 lime
salt & pepper, to taste

Cook and shred your chicken. The easiest way I have found is to put the chicken in the crockpot with 1 cup of chicken broth on high for 2-3 hours.

It will then shred easily with 2 forks. I do this step the evening before and then store the shredded chicken in the fridge overnight so its cold for the next day. This also helps speed up the next part, and time can be an issue with little ones running around.

Next, all you have to do is mix in the rest of the ingredients. I use a fork to smash in the avocado. If your chicken is already cold, then it's ready to eat! Personally, I mix this together midmorning and put back in the fridge, covered, until lunch so the flavors blend together.

*This will last in a covered container overnight for the next day without turning brown (even without the lime juice, which I didn't have for my 1st batch).

Now that is what I call a Chicken Salad Sandwich!


Toddler Review

Scarlett is home sick today so she got to eat some with me for lunch.



She cleared it!


No comments: